It’s simple to operate a tankless water heater. But if you are a newbie or haven’t used a Rinnai water heater before, you may find it difficult to operate the unit as you don’t know how to turn on the Rinnai tankless water heater.
And Today’s guide will help you learn how to start up the Rinnai water heater. Before that, I first let you know what safety guideline you must follow before operating the unit. It will protect you from unusual and unpredicted fire accidents. So, let’s dive in.
Table of Contents
- Safety Tips You Should Maintain Before Operating
- How To Turn On Rinnai Tankless Water Heater?
Safety Tips You Should Maintain Before Operating
Read and maintain the following safety guideline before operating or turning on your Rinnai Tankless Water Heater. Otherwise, it will damage your property, cause personal injury, or even death by causing an explosion.
1. This tankless water heater doesn’t come with a pilot. It features an ignition device, which automatically lights up the burner. Never try to ignite it by hand.
2. Smell around the water heater area for gas (before operating the unit). Ensure you smell next to the floor for gas as some gas is heavier than air and will settle on the base. If you smell the gas, follow these directions:
- Stop yourself from lighting any appliance in your home.
- Don’t try to touch any electric switch. Also, you should avoid using your phone in the building.
- Use your neighbor’s phone and call the gas supplier right off the bat.
- If you fail to reach your gas supplier, call the fire department.
3. Turn the manual gas control valve by your hand. Never try to use any tools to do this task. If you can’t turn the gas valve by hand, call a certified technician instead of trying to repair it.
4. Don’t operate or use the tankless water heater if any part of this unit goes under water. Call a qualified plumber if the unit goes under water and let him inspect the unit to fix a specific issue.
How To Turn On Rinnai Tankless Water Heater?
Once you read and follow the safety rules mentioned above, it’s time to turn on your Rinnai tankless water heater. Go along with the below steps and complete them to start up the tankless unit:
- Choose the lowest temperature setting for the temperature controller and set it.
- Ensure you shut all the electric supply to your unit.
- As I mentioned earlier, this device doesn’t feature a pilot. It features an ignition device which allows the burner to light automatically. Don’t try to light up the burner by hand.
- Locate the manual gas control valve at the gas inlet and turn it clockwise to shut off the gas supply.
- Wait at least five minutes to let all the gas clear out. Then, smell for gas. If you smell the gas, do what I mentioned in the above chapter. On the other hand, if you don’t smell gas, proceed to the next.
- Now, turn on the gas supply to the unit by rotating the main gas control valve counter-clockwise.
- Restore all the electric power to your tankless water heater.
- Lastly, set the temperature controller to your desired setting, which will start up the water heater and start heating.
Note: If the tankless unit doesn’t come on after following those steps, follow these steps described below.
- Set your temperature controller to the lower setting.
- Turn off electric power to the unit at the circuit breaker.
- Turn the gas control valve clockwise to shut off the gas supply.
- Call a qualified service technician.
How to turn up the temperature on a Rinnai tankless water heater?
It’s a piece of cake to turn up the temperature on a Rinnai tankless water heater. Just ensure the water heater is on. If not, press the on/off button to turn on the unit. Then, tap on the Priority button, which actually enables or controls the water temperature. Once you push the Priority button, the orange light next to it will glow. Now, press the Up button on the temperature controller to increase the temperature.
How to turn down the temperature on a Rinnai tankless water heater?
Follow these directions to turn down the temperature on a Rinnai tankless water heater:
- Turn on the unit by pushing the On/Off button.
- Press the Priority button on the controller to enable its function.
- Now, tap the Down button on the temperature controller to decrease the temperature.
Why won’t my Rinnai water heater turn on?
Your Rinnai water heater won’t turn on due to too low water flow, defective flow sensor, clogged water inlet, and electric issues.
How do you reset a Rinnai tankless water heater?
Tap and hold down the Connect button until the LED light flashes red and white. Once those light flashes, release the connect button quickly and again press it 3 times. It will reset the unit and bring the module back to its original factory setting.
I hope you will find it easy to turn on the Rinnai tankless water heater if you follow the guideline I mentioned above. So, try those steps and let us know how simple it’s to start up the unit.
Eric Alvarez is an HVAC guy based in El Paso, Texas, United States. He obtained his Bachelor of Science degree from the University Of Texas at El Paso. Years of experience in the HVAC field have taught him many lessons, not the least of which is that the value of quality and knowledge far exceeds any promised initial savings. He has a good standing reputation for superior skills in heating, air conditioning, hot water tanks, and indoor air quality systems.