In this article, I will walk you through 5 simple steps on how to light State Select Gas Water Heater.
Safety Tips: Don’t forget to maintain all the safety tips mentioned on the water heater. Otherwise, it will cause property damage, severe injuries, or even death.
Now, it’s time to dive in and discover the ways to light the gas water heater safely.
Table of Contents
- What To Check Before Lighting The State Select Water Heater?
- How To Light State Select Gas Water Heater?
What To Check Before Lighting The State Select Water Heater?
Before lighting the State Select Gas Water Heater, what you need to check is:
- Ensure the viewport is not getting damaged or missing.
- Make sure the tank of the unit is completely filled with water.
- Take a look at the data plate near the gas control valve to ensure you are feeding the unit with the correct gas type.
- Never try to light this unit with the gas that’s not recommended.
- If you smell gas around the unit, don’t try to light the unit. Instead, call a certified technician.
How To Light State Select Gas Water Heater?
Follow the below step-by-step procedure to light your State Select Gas Water Heater successfully:
1. Ensure you turn on the gas supply to the unit. Just turn the gas manual shut-off valve to the On position. The gas manual valve should be in-line with the pipe.
2. Take the outer cover out and set the thermostat to its lowest setting. In this case, you should turn the thermostat knob fully clockwise until it stops.
3. Set the gas control knob to the Pilot position.
4. The pilot is located on the left side of the burner. You can see it through the glass view port. Take your eyes for the spark location.
5. Push and hold down the gas control knob all the way down and keep pressing the piezo igniter button rapidly until the pilot light doesn’t come on.
Once the pilot light comes on, release the gas control knob and the igniter button. Then, set the temperature knob to your desired temperature setting.
Note: If the pilot light doesn’t come on after 2 attempts, release the gas control knob and wait for 10 minutes. After that, follow the steps from 1 to 5 to light the pilot. If the pilot still won’t come on, turn the gas control knob to the Off position and call a service guy.
It’s not rocket science to light or relight the State Select Gas Water Heater. Just follow the lighting instructions I mentioned and light your gas water heater. It’s simple!
However, don’t call a gas supply company if you fail to light the pilot after two consecutive attempts.
Eric Alvarez is an HVAC guy based in El Paso, Texas, United States. He obtained his Bachelor of Science degree from the University Of Texas at El Paso. Years of experience in the HVAC field have taught him many lessons, not the least of which is that the value of quality and knowledge far exceeds any promised initial savings. He has a good standing reputation for superior skills in heating, air conditioning, hot water tanks, and indoor air quality systems.