This is an in-depth guide on AO Smith Water Heater Temperature Adjustment.
If you get the AO Smith water heater for the first time, you can find this article handy. It will help you to adjust the temperature on AO Smith Water Heater, no matter what models you buy.
So, let’s get started without a second delay.
Table of Contents
- How To Adjust Temp On AO Smith Gas Water Heater?
- How To Adjust Temp On AO Smith Electric Water Heater?
- AO Smith Water Heater Temperature Settings
How To Adjust Temp On AO Smith Gas Water Heater?
This chapter will show you how to adjust temperature on AO Smith Gas water heater, no matter if you have a tank or tankless unit.
AO Smith Gas Water Heater Temperature Adjustment
Follow the below steps to adjust the temperature of your AO Smith Gas Water Heater.
Step 1. Set the Gas Valve To Your Desired Temperature Setting
Locate the gas control knob on the gas valve of the unit. Then, set it to your desired temperature setting. If you set the knob to the ‘Hot’ setting, it will set the water temperature approximately 120°F. It will reduce the risk of scald injury.
However, you can also choose the high temperature setting to deliver hot water for automatic dishwashers or laundry machines.
Step 2. Adjust Water Heater’s Thermostat
Next, what you need to do is- just rotate the gas control knob on the gas control valve to the right and set it any of the following settings:
- A (128°F)
- B (138°F)
- C (147°F)
- Very Hot (160°F)
Keep in mind; the temperatures above are approximate and the actual temperature of the heated water may vary.
Step 3. Wait for The Water To Heat Up
Finally, it’s time to leave your water heater for 2 hours to let the unit heat the water. If you get no hot water from your water heater after two hours, there is something wrong with the unit. In this case, check the manual.
AO Smith Tankless Gas Water Heater Temperature Adjustment
If you have an AO Smith Tankless Gas Water Heater, go along with these steps to adjust the temperature:
- Turn the 120VAC power supply on to the water heater.
- Turn on the controller by pressing the On/Off button.
- The Stand-By LED will come on if the controller is on.
- You can now see a set temperature on the display.
- To adjust the temperature, press the Hot button from the controller to set the temperature to 120° F. If you want to increase the temperature from 120° to 125° F, just press and hold down both the INFO and the HOT buttons for at least 3 seconds. It will make a beep and increase the temperature.
- On the other hand, press the COLD button if you want to decrease the temperature.
- Press the ENTER button to confirm your selection.
How To Adjust Temp On AO Smith Electric Water Heater?
Let’s check out how you can adjust the temperature on AO Smith Electric Water Heater, no matter if it’s a hybrid, tank, or tankless electric unit.
AO Smith Hybrid Water Heater Temperature Adjustment
Setting temperature on AO Smith Hybrid Water Heater is a piece of cake. Just follow the below steps and make the adjustment.
- Use the UP and Down buttons on the UIM (User Interface Module) to set the water temperature.
- Press the UP button for increasing temperature. On the other hand, you can decrease water temperature by pressing the Down button on the UIM.
- You can cycle through the available temperature set point quickly by pressing and holding down the Up button.
- Wait a fair amount of time for the water to heat up.
AO Smith Electric Water Heater Temperature Adjustment
Here is how you can adjust the temperature on an AO Smith Tank Electric Water Heater:
- Ensure you turn the electric supply to the unit off at the circuit breaker box.
- Use a flat head screwdriver and remove the both upper and lower access panel. Then, fold away the insulation.
- Rotate the water temperature dial clockwise to increase the temperature. If you want to decrease the temperature, turn the water temperature dial counter-clockwise. Make sure you set the both upper and lower thermostats to the same temperature settings.
- Once you adjust the temperature settings, replace both the insulations and access panels.
- Finally, turn the power on.
- Wait for at least 2 hours to let the heater heat the water.
AO Smith Electric Tankless Water Heater Temperature Adjustment
Whether you have a point of use model or two or four-chamber model, this chapter will help you adjust the temperature settings on both.
- Locate the temperature knob at the top of the circuit board.
- Turn the knob to the right or clockwise to increase temperature. To decrease temperature, turn the temperature knob to the left.
- Use a flat-blade screwdriver to turn the knob.
Two or Four-Chamber Model:
- Press and release either the Up and the Down button to increase or decrease the water temperature.
- To cycle through the temperature quickly, hold and press down the Up or the Down button.
- Tap the Enter button to confirm your selection.
AO Smith Water Heater Temperature Settings
AO Smith Gas Water Heater has five temperature settings, including:
- Very hot
On a low setting, the water temperature should be between 80° to 90° F.
The Hot temperature setting is actually a default setting. If you choose this one, your water heater will heat the water at 120° F.
When you turn the gas control knob from Hot to A, the water temperature should be 128°F° F. On the other hand, your AO Smith gas furnace will heat the water at 138° F on B temperature setting. And on a C temperature setting, the unit will heat the tank water at 148°F.
Finally, Very Hot temperature, what the name suggests, is the highest temperature setting on your AO Smith Water Heater. This setting will heat the water at 160° F.
Is 130 too hot for a water heater?
No, 130° F is not too hot for a water heater. Actually, professionals suggest keeping the water heater set at a temperature between 130° to 140° F. Below or above this range can be dangerous for you and your family.
Is 120 degrees too low for a water heater?
No, it’s not too low. Rather, it’s a safe temperature setting against scalding.
Is 160 too hot for a water heater?
Yes, 160° F is too hot for a water heater. This temperature setting isn’t only dangerous for you but it also brings damage to your water heater.
Now, setting the temperature on your AO Smith Water Heater will not be challenging anymore. It doesn’t matter if you have a tank or tankless, and electric or gas water heater. Indeed, you can consider this guide as a bible on water heater temperature adjustment. So, it’s worth bookmarking this article.
- AO Smith Water Heater Too Hot
- AO Smith Electric Water Heater Troubleshooting
- AO Smith Gas Water Heater Troubleshooting
- AO Smith Hybrid Water Heater Troubleshooting
Eric Alvarez is an HVAC guy based in El Paso, Texas, United States. He obtained his Bachelor of Science degree from the University Of Texas at El Paso. Years of experience in the HVAC field have taught him many lessons, not the least of which is that the value of quality and knowledge far exceeds any promised initial savings. He has a good standing reputation for superior skills in heating, air conditioning, hot water tanks, and indoor air quality systems.